Friday, November 12, 2010

Project Update- Carne Asado!

There is a tradition in Chile when houses are built.  The tradition is that when the rafters begin to go up, there MUST be a Carne Asado in celebration.  Carne Asado literally means "Barbecued Meat."  So the people get a lamb, skewer it on a big stick and roast it over the open flame.  This first picture is of the branch that the workers put on our house to "call for the asado."


Then of course, we had to have some meat to barbecue.  And why would you buy a lamb when you can just go get one from free in the pasture?





It was my first time killing and cleaning an animal to be eaten like that, and what a rich experience it was.  I pulled the lamb to the tree and hung her up.  I thanked the lamb for giving her life and also thanked the Lord for giving animals to us that we would have food.  As soon as we had her hung in the tree, it was as if she understood that she was going to give her life, and she quietly submitted.  Incredible.

3 comments:

  1. We are still sitting at the dinner table looking at your blog. Dad says "Wow....what a cool experience." Papa says "I'm sure that fresh lamb tasted good, because "little lambs eat ivy!:)" Mom says "I sure do wish I coulda been there with you...what an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That critter must have tasted awesome! No fast freezing needed, just cut, cook, and chow. I love the direct slaughter approach, it saves alot of time and money.
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was impressive for washing a whole turkey - and the giblets were even pre-bagged! no killing necessary....this is gross. :)

    ReplyDelete