Monday, November 29, 2010

Gotta know more, gotta know more, gotta know more....

TWO THOUGHTS:
1.) Knowledge is an interesting thing.
2.) A well thought out life is an interesting thing.

1.) I LOVE to learn.  Since being in Chile, I have been disciplined to learn about personal health, biblical theology, global economics, AutoCAD computer softward, Spanish, world religions and worldviews, and construction technology.  Knowledge is endless in this world.  However, yesterday I began to think the following thought:  "Why do I want to know so much?"

The answer came to me clear and simple:  PRIDE.  Uff, what a monster.  Essentially, the more I know, the more I can put myself above other people intellectually based on my "hoard" of personal knowledge.  Gross, huh?

So, here we go.
1 Corinthians 8:1-3 says, "Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge.  Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.  The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.  But the man who loves God is known by God."  All knowledge is futile compared to the knowledge that comes from God´s love.
1 Corinthians 13:1-2 says, "If I speak in the tongues of mena and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."  All knowledge is futile compared to the knowledge that comes from God´s love.

Often times my mentality to learn overtakes my calling as a Christian so much that I forget to love people.  A good grasp of scripture helps us love people to answer hard spiritual questions.  I well versed world-view helps us to love people by understanding situational circumstances that they have had in their lives.  The list goes on.  But it seems that it is easy to get so caught up in academia (yes, even in spiritual and theological academia) that we forget to love people.  Such has been the case in my life.

2.)  Now, for a well thought out life.
Romans 9:2-3 says, "I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart, for I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race..."

Paul is well thought out in his life, and he sees the reality of the lost.  "Great sorrow and unceasing anguish" has Paul, due to the realities of sin and hell for nonbelievers.  It appears that we as Christians fail to think through life deeply because the implications are great.  The implications require a life change, and a radical life change at that.  Seems as if we would rather not think things through so that we can remain content.

That we may have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in thinking about the lost people that don´t know Christ Jesus as their Savior....

3 comments:

  1. so maybe it's a good thing I'm not a huge fan of learning... :) I like this post! GOOD ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that we would live with a 24/7 sense of the Love of God that causes within us an anguish over the eternity of those who do not yet have that Love within them. Well written, son and Brother.
    Love, mama

    ReplyDelete